What is the Most Common Cause of a Home Fire – Fire Damage Repair
Fire damage happens to homes quite frequently, and they can be a scary thing to deal with. Based off information by the National Fire Protection Association, there are more than 300,000 house fires a year in the United States, and they are liable for the injuries and deaths of both civilians and firefighters. Along with these numbers, businesses like Paul Davis have supplied fire damage remediation services for many homes. The risk of a house fire shouldn’t be overlooked, and that’s why it’s important to know what the most common causes of house fires are. To better prepare yourself, we’ve organized a selection of the most common causes of house fires.
Forgetting Food on the Stove
Preparing meals in the home is one of the main culprits to house fires, especially when no one is there to oversee the actions in the kitchen. Many homes have needed fire damage repairs because of food being left on the stove with no one to monitor it. If it’s necessary for you to retire from the kitchen for any reason, make sure someone else is there to oversee the cooking.
Your Electrical Devices
Anything that operates using an electrical current in your property can act as a fire risk. If any of your electrical gear has a worn out cord, then they are a fire risk. Furthermore, what you need to keep in mind is your outlets. You don’t want to overload the circuit.
Candles in Your Room
One of the more enjoyable items to keep around the house are candles. Although they make for elegant decorations, they are also an extreme risk for fire. Make sure to put out your candles before leaving the room, and put them in a location where they won’t fall or burn other objects around them.
Cigarettes have been a fire hazard for a long time, since they can stay lit for a few hours, and if they come into contact with anything flammable, you can have a severe issue on your hands. Smoking outdoors is an excellent idea to stay away from this hazard.
Any electrical complications in your home, such as damaged wiring, can expose your property to fire. Damaged wiring is puzzling because you can’t always see it, but here are a few things to look out for:
- Your lights dim when another appliance is in use
- You have to disconnect something in order for an appliance to work
- Your circuit trips frequently
If you notice any of these things, contact a professional electrician or contact your landlord to fix the issue.
For most people, a barbecue is a part of their property for the summer. Remember, it’s important that your barbecue isn’t close to anything that can catch on fire from it. Also, have it cleaned and maintained on a regular basis, since the buildup that occurs in your barbecue can be a fire risk. Examining your gas bottle on a regular basis is another essential step in ensuring your safety.
Children are usually curious, and fire can be intriguing for them. Hide all matches and lighters in your home to keep your children protected. You can also teach them what to do in the circumstance of a fire and to memorize their address in case they need to call 911.
Liquids That Are Combustible
Before storing your liquids, examine the label to make sure the contents aren’t a fire hazard, otherwise don’t store them next to a heat source.
Having a Christmas Tree in Your Home
Every winter, holiday cheer is brought into the home through Christmas trees along with a potential house fire. If you have a live tree, you should cut off a small section from the trunk so the tree can soak up water. Watering your tree consistently and keeping it hydrated is also an essential step. Before turning in for the evening, make sure your Christmas lights are turned off as well. Furthermore, you could get an artificial tree to avoid the risk altogether.
Dryers Not Being Maintained
Fires produced from dryers are very common, and that’s why it’s important to keep them maintained. To prevent your residence from needing fire remediation services, always clean out the lint trap before using it again, and inspect the dryer duct consistently because lint can get trapped in there as well.
It’s difficult to get rid of all possible risks for fire, but knowing the most frequent causes of house fires can remove your risk substantially. If you have encountered any fire damage to your property, don’t wait to call a professional that provides fire remediation services, like Paul Davis. We are a fire clean up company that can have your house recovered back to where it was before.